Bean salad is a perennial favorite at picnics, and this one takes five minutes to put together. Just keep it in the fridge for a few hours before the big event for the flavors to meld. Bonus: The lemon juice in the marinade keeps the vegetables from turning brown.
- 15 oz can white or navy beans, drained
- 15 oz can canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of 2 medium lemons (about ½ cup)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 8 romaine or iceberg lettuce leaves
- Place all of the ingredients except the lettuce in a large shallow bowl, and toss to mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Arrange the lettuce on eight salad plates, top with the marinated beans, and serve.
This recipe is
- Calories 220kcal 11%
- Fat 3.1g 5%
- Saturated fat 0.3g 2%
- Carbs 40.9g 14%
- Sodium 205mg 9%
- 8.4g sugar
- 18.2g fiber
- 14.3g protein
- 0mg cholesterol