Raw fennel is an excellent salad addition when thinly shaved and paired with other cooling green vegetables, like zucchini and cucumber, as in this fresh salad. Warm toasted pine nuts and salty feta cheese provide balance. A refreshing salad, perfect for early spring.
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed and sliced paper-thin
- 1 medium zucchini or cucumber, sliced into paper-thin coins
- ⅓ cup firmly packed chopped fresh dill
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 3 cups arugula
- honey, if needed
- ⅓ cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
- In a bowl, combine the fennel, zucchini, dill, lemon juice, olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside to marinate for 20 minutes, up to one hour.
- Prior to serving, preheat oven to 350ºF. Place pine nuts on a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes, shaking halfway through until fragrant and golden brown.
- When ready to serve, place arugula in a large bowl and pour all of the fennel mixture on top. Toss together gently but evenly. Adjust taste with more dressing, salt or a drizzle of honey.
- Serve topped with toasted pine nuts and reduced fat feta crumbles.
This recipe is
- Calories 271kcal 14%
- Fat 25.1g 39%
- Saturated fat 3.5g 18%
- Carbs 10.1g 3%
- Sodium 269mg 11%
- 2.0g sugar
- 3.6g fiber
- 5.7g protein
- 4mg cholesterol