- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 8 cups water
- 3 lb. ham hock
- 2 bunches collard greens (about 2 ½ lb.)
- 2 bunches mustard greens (about 2 ½ lb.)
- Heat oil in an 8 quart pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook until softened.
- Add cayenne pepper, bay leaves, garlic, water and ham hocks. Cook for 1 hour.
- Thoroughly wash greens, remove stems and blemished areas, and chop. Add the greens by the handful until all of them are combined in the mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, about 1 hour.
- Remove the bay leaves and ham hocks. . Let ham hocks cool for approximately 10 minutes. Remove meat and dice.
- Add the meat back to the pot and serve.
- mustard greens
- Calories 297kcal 15%
- Fat 17.4g 27%
- Saturated fat 4.1g 20%
- Carbs 9.5g 3%
- Sodium 87mg 4%
- 2.4g sugar
- 5.4g fiber
- 27.2g protein
- 73mg cholesterol