Mini servings makes everything taste good.
- 2 oz hazelnuts
- 2 large red potatoes, about 10 oz
- 2 cups fresh cauliflower
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 ⅓ cups whole milk
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Put the hazelnuts in a baking dish and toast in the oven about 8 min. or until golden brown. When cool, chop coarsely.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to the boil. Peel the potatoes and cut into ½ -inch cubes. Roughly chop the cauliflower florets. Add the potatoes and cauliflower to the boiling water and cook 5 min. Drain.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Whisk the flour for about 3 min. on low heat. While stirring, add the milk and stir until you get a thick sauce. Remove from heat and add cheese, stirring until it melts. Season to taste with nutmeg, pepper and salt (in moderation). Divide the potato and cauliflower among 4 1-cup ramekins and top with the cheese sauce.
- Bake approximately 10 min. Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts over gratins and bake for another 5 min.
You can make the gratins 2 days in advance. Bake the dishes for 10 min., sprinkle with the hazelnuts and cool. Store covered in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, bake the gratin at 350°F for 10 min.
You can substitute frozen cauliflower if fresh is not available
- In Season
- October 2015