You’ve never had croutons like these—but they’re bound to become a favorite. This is a vegan-friendly recipe.
- 2 pears
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 (14 oz) pkg firm tofu
- 2 tbsp low - sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ (5 oz) pkg baby kale
- 6 tbsp Asian - style vinaigrette
- Cut the pears lengthwise into quarters. Remove core and cut the pear quarters into slices and then into thin strips. Sprinkle the pear slices with the lemon juice to prevent them from browning.
- In a food processor, grind the cashews coarsely. Drain the tofu, pat dry with paper towels and add to the cashews in the food processor along with 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp flour and pepper to taste. Pulse to combine.
- Cut the peppers into thin rings, discarding seeds. Cut the shiitake mushrooms into strips. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet or wok and fry the peppers and shiitake mushrooms 5 min. Transfer mushrooms and peppers to a bowl and toss with 3 tbsp of the vinaigrette. Season with pepper.
- Wipe the wok clean and heat the remaining oil. Form small balls of the tofu mixture (about 2 tsp each) and fry 2 min., stirring to make sure all sides brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining tofu mixture.
- Arrange the baby kale and pear slices on a platter and spoon over the pepper-shiitake mixture. Top with the tofu croutons and serve the the remaining vinaigrette.
- savory clean living 2016
- Calories 669kcal 33%
- Fat 51.7g 80%
- Saturated fat 8.7g 44%
- Carbs 41.4g 14%
- Sodium 491mg 20%
- 17.7g sugar
- 7.5g fiber
- 18.0g protein
- 0mg cholesterol