The healthy centerpiece of your Christmas meal.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 ½ large zucchinis
- 8 vine -ripened tomatoes
- 2 medium red onions
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 8 tbsp olive oil + extra for greasing
- 2 cloves garlic
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the eggplants, zucchini, and tomatoes into ¼-inch-thick slices. Slice the red onion into thin rounds. Cut or snip the rosemary sprigs into 4 pieces each.
- With an immersion or standard blender, puree the oil and garlic until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp of the garlic oil on medium. Add some eggplant slices to skillet in a single layer. Cook 5 min., until browned, turning over halfway through. Transfer to a plate. Continue browning remaining eggplant slices, adding additional 1–2 tbsp garlic oil to skillet as needed. Let eggplant cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini and remaining garlic oil, tossing until well coated. Arrange slices of eggplant, zucchini, tomato, and onion upright in greased casserole dish, alternating between vegetables.
- Insert pieces of rosemary between vegetables, reserving a few pieces for garnish. Bake 40 min., until vegetables are browned and tender. To serve, garnish with reserved rosemary.
You can make this casserole up to 1 day in advance. Keep covered in the refrigerator. Cover with aluminum foil and heat it up in the oven at 350°F for 20 min.