- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- ½ tsp salt divided
- ½ tsp ground black pepper divided
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 lb ground beef (85% lean), molded into 4 patties
- 4 slices smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 small tomato
- 4 Kaiser rolls
- Melt 1 ½ tablespoons butter in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions, 1/4 teaspoon each, salt and pepper, and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until they are deep golden brown and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Add a little water if the onions start to brown too quickly. Remove from the pan, and let cool.
- While onions are cooking combine mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, stirring until well mixed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Cook patties on the preheated grill until burgers are cooked to your desired degree of doneness, about 3-4 minutes per side for medium-well burgers to an internal temperature of 160°F.
- Place a slice of cheese on each burger, close grill lid and allow cheese to melt. Remove burgers.
- Spread garlic mayonnaise (aioli) onto each burger bun bottom. Place one grilled burger onto each bun, top with caramelized onions and a slice of tomato. Place top of bun on burgers.
- Calories 769kcal 38%
- Fat 52.8g 81%
- Saturated fat 18.3g 91%
- Carbs 38.1g 13%
- Sodium 1061mg 44%
- 5.4g sugar
- 2.7g fiber
- 34.3g protein
- 132mg cholesterol