Dress up your holiday cookie tray with these gluten-free, 5 ingredient peppermint meringues. Drizzle these light-as-air puffs with chocolate for extra flair!
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 peppermint candy canes, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Rub the bowl and beaters of a stand mixer with ½ lemon to degrease it. Separate the eggs; reserve the whites, and dispose of the yolks.
- Beat the egg whites until they have doubled in volume. Add the sugar, gradually, 1 tbsp at a time, waiting until each is dissolved before adding the next one. Beat in the cornstarch. Continue to beat until the egg whites shine and form peaks.
- Put the meringue in a piping bag (or a Ziploc bag, with one corner snipped off) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Hold the pastry bag perpendicular to the baking sheet and pipe your meringues in small dollops, about 2 inches high and 1 ½ inches in diameter. Sprinkle each with crushed candy cane.
- Bake the meringues for 2 hours in the middle of the oven. When finished, turn off the oven, keep door closed, and let meringues cool inside it for one hour. Do not open the oven door before the hour is up, or the meringues may collapse.
This recipe is
- December 2017