These classic cookies are also known as palmiers, and you won’t believe how easy they are to make at home
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 (17.3 oz) pkg puff pastry sheets
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tbsp water. In another bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp cinnamon sugar onto your work surface. Unfold 1 pastry sheet on top of the sugar. Brush the pastry with the egg, and sprinkle with 1 tbsp cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Fold the top and bottom edges of the pastry sheet toward one another, so they touch right in the middle, like a pamphlet. Use a rolling pin to roll them flat, packing the sugar and dough together, then fold in half lengthwise (creating a long roll, with multiple layers of dough and sugar). Repeat with the remaining pastry sheet, then cover both with plastic wrap and place them in the fridge to set. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- When dough is set and oven is preheated, cut each pastry roll into 18 slices. Place the slices onto 2 parchment-lined baking sheets and bake for 12 min., or until cookies are golden brown. Remove from oven, and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- December 2017