Tart cranberry pairs perfectly with lamb in this impressive yet simple roast. This elegant holiday main dish can be on the table in less than an hour.
- 1 (3 ½ lb) boneless trimmed butterflied leg of lamb
- 1 (14 oz) can jellied cranberry sauce
- 2 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped chives, plus more for garnish
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint, plus more for garnish (optional)
- Let the lamb sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 425°F. Season the lamb well with salt and pepper. Place lamb, skin-side up, on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Roast about 40 min., starting to check doneness at the 30-min. mark and cooking until an instant-read thermometer reads 135°F (medium-rare). Remove lamb from oven, transfer to a cutting board, and loosely cover with foil for 15 min. to rest.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a small pot, gently warm the cranberry sauce over low heat until melted, whisking occasionally to break into pieces. Remove from heat. Transfer cranberry sauce to a medium bowl, whisking in the mustard, vinegar, chives, and mint (if using). If desired, stir 1–2 tbsp of any lamb juices on cutting board into cranberry mixture.
- Thinly slice lamb and serve with the sauce. Garnish with more chives and mint.
If you prefer your lamb well done, roast until the internal temperature reaches 145°F.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- December 2016
- Wheat Free
- December 2021
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free